Coverage for Patient Services

Ontario Heath Insurance Plan (OHIP)

Medically necessary physician services (such as urgent care medical care, diagnostic imaging and family physician care) are covered by OHIP in our facility, provided the patient presents a valid OHIP card. Doctor’s notes, insurance completion forms, some medical procedures and medical report requests are not covered by OHIP.

For more information, visit the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care:

Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)

If you have suffered a workplace injury, your physician assessment and treatment would be covered by the WSIB. You may also be eligible for WSIB treatment coverage for other services offered in our medical centre (such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, massage therapy, social work and more). In order to receive coverage for these services, your WSIB claim must be approved.

For more information, visit the WSIB:

Extended Health Insurance

Extended Health Insurance are private insurance plans that can be purchased by individuals, but are most commonly provided by employers as part of work benefits. Insurers that commonly provide these benefits in the region include Green Shield Canada, Great West Life, Desjardins Insurance, Manulife Financial, Equitable Life, Sun Life Insurance and many others. The coverage between plans can vary from 100% coverage to partial coverage requiring you to provide a co-payment for services, so you should always contact your insurer or the human resources department of your workplace to check your coverage details before making a claim.

Extended health insurance benefits are important in that these plans may cover physician services that OHIP does not cover. As well, type of insurance covers most of the allied health professional services offered within Chancellors Way Medical Arts Centre (such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, naturopathic medicine, social work, massage and registered dietician to name a few). In some cases, you may require a medical doctor’s prescription for your benefits to cover the healthcare service.

In the unfortunate event that your WSIB claim is denied, the good news is that extended health benefits should cover all or part of the cost of your care.

For more information about extended health benefits visit:$file/Brochure_Guide_To_Health_ENG.pdf

University of Guelph Extended Health Insurance

Students, staff and faculty of the University of Guelph have extended health insurance plans through Sun Life Assurance that can be used to cover non-OHIP health care services at Chancellors Way Medical Arts Centre. If you are an international student, or an employee or faculty member that is not eligible for OHIP coverage, your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) will provide coverage. International students may also have insurance through “guard me” international insurance.

For information on the University of Guelph student healthcare coverage visit:

For information on UHIP, visit:

For information on Guard Me International Insurance, visit:

For information on University of Guelph staff and faculty plans, visit:

Auto Accident Claims

Ontario auto accident treatments are covered under auto insurance policies. A claim must be made to the auto insurer to activate coverage. Under Ontario law, any private insurance (extended health plans) that the claimant/patient may have in force, must be billed first before the auto insurer. The auto insurance will then pay any outstanding fees not covered by your extended health benefits plan. Making a claim can involve a lot of paperwork. Your healthcare professional and insurance representative can help you navigate your claim.

For more information on auto claims, visit:

Community Health Web Links

Patients are advised that this information contained in these health links is not a substitute for medical advice. Individuals should contact their physician or other healthcare provider with any questions about their health, treatment, or care.

 Web Links:

Canadian Mental Health Association:

Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health:

Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care:

Health Canada: