MacPhee Family Creative Writing Contest for U of Guelph Students
Rubric for Grading “The First Annual Creative Writing Competition”. The MacPhee Family will donate a $200. cash award for this creative piece. This will take place prior to the Robert and Bridgette MacPhee Memorial Prize, that will start in 2020. The topic for this 2019 competition is Mental Health.
Applicants must be a full time student at the University of Guelph, papers must be submitted by March 15th 2019.
- Submission must be in video format.
- Student write a creative piece (poem, short story, prose) on mental health. Suggested topics are as follows:
- Perceptions of Mental Health Past, Present, Future
- Understanding Mental Health
- Multiple narrative perspectives will be accepted: omniscient, first person, second person, third person, etc.
- No more than two submissions per student.
- Video must engage the audience in a reading of his or her work.
- Poems are to be no less than one page in length, single-spaced.
- Short stories, prose are to be no more than five pages double-spaced in length.
- Judging will be based on creativity, uniqueness in approach, as well as mechanics, and delivery of written work via video. Video is to be uploaded to a YouTube channel and permission granted so that judge may view.
- Allusions, symbols, images may be included. Students may use art or music in the background to enhance the reading, but ensure that the choice does not distract from the reading/video itself.
Quality of the reading is important. Make sure that enunciation is clear, and that background noise and/or white noise is kept to a minimum to avoid distortion.
Email submissions to: [email protected]
Dr. Chantelle MacPhee
Associate Professor/Chair Language Studies and the Arts
St. Leo University
We are now allowing University of Guelph students to park on the East side of the parking lot during the daytime. Parking rates remain at $1/hour, but our daily maximum charge has reduced from $12 per day to $5 per day.
Physical Medicine Update
Dr. El-Sherbini (Physiatrist) is now accepting family physician referrals for his Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation practice at CareWell Health Group. He specializes in the treatment of chronic pain, sports injuries and complex neuromuscular injuries. Physicians can fax referrals to: 519-341-9254.
Procedures Clinic Update
The Rapid Access Family Practice Procedures Clinic is accepting referrals. A referral from a family physician is required. Check out the procedures clinic page for details. Fax 519-766-1709.